Men and women alike can be sustainably stylish. Here are the must-haves:
1. The reusable bag. It doesn't have to be Anya Hindmarch's bag you see at right (which we've all seen about enough of, frankly), but re-usable bags are eco-friendly and can say a lot about you. You read? Get one at a bookstore. In fact, you probably already have one. They're called tote bags. Use them when you go to the farmer's market (or the drug store) and feel good about yourself.
2. Hemp clothing. It's not just for ropes and hippies! Check out the great designs on hempest.com.
3. Vegan shoes. Good shoes don't have to be made of leather anymore. We recommend Stella McCartney for solid designs that don't look fakey.
4. Environmentally friendly coffee. We thought about recommending an aluminum Sigg bottle, but have heard some strange rumors about rust and such, so we'll go with coffee. Starbucks has Fair Trade coffee, but our pick Mud Coffee, a New York East Village staple, is a little more grassroots, and certified by the Rainforest Alliance! Even if you're not in Astor Place every morning, you can buy their grounds online.
5. You really want everyone to know you're into saving the planet? Make a statement in your home with a lamp from eco-lights.com. Seriously, their stuff is beautiful!
If you can incorporate just one of these tips into your life? Our Earth Day is made, and you're gonna look good.