If new rumors surrounding Men's Vogue are to be believed, the current financial recession may have dealt a fatal blow to the beleaguered magazine.
After CosmoGirl announced it was publishing its last issue in December, we've been flooded with accounts of fashion magazines in fragile financial standings.
Men's Vogue had seemingly been spared -- at least until November, when its publisher Conde Nast announced that the magazine would be scaling back to just two issues per year. And recent rumors suggest that the situation is even more dire.
On Monday, The Cut reported that Men's Vogue was definitely here to stay, quoting a Conde Nast spokesperson who said: "There is no change to our plans from what we said at the end of last year. We will put out two Men's Vogue in '09." Cool. But Fashionista told a very different story based on a tip from one of their readers:
Regardless of what Condé Nast is saying about Men's Vogue continuing to publish, I received a post card offering to transfer my subscription to Condé Nast's Portfolio or to receive a refund on issues remaining in my subscription. I just called to request the refund and was told I'd receive a check for $15 in 3 - 4 weeks."
The fact that Conde Nast won't peddle subscriptions for a semi-annual publication shouldn't be all that shocking, but this week's rash of negative rumors seems to suggest that the future of Men's Vogue may be even bleaker than we suspected.
This is particularly sad considering that Men's Vogue is one of the few Conde Nast publications that routinely features people of color on its covers -- with Denzel Washington, Will Smith, and Barack Obama all given face time in 2008.
Alas, it was nice while it lasted.