Who doesn't want to instantly look taller, thinner and younger? Forget crash diets or trips to the plastic surgeon: All it takes is a shoe and handbag intervention from Oprah Winfrey.
The media mogul featured expert advice on how to choose the right shoes and handbags for you -- and even gave pointers on avoiding the dreaded cankle and -- on a recent episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show."
Adam Glassman, creative director of O, The Oprah Magazine, Joe Zee, creative director of Elle magazine and Mary Alice Stephenson, celebrity stylist and contributor to Harper's Bazaar, taught Winfrey's audience how to go from "frumpy to fabulous" and we took notes.
Here are the tips to study up on now:
The Six Shoes Every Woman Needs, According to Adam Glassman of O Magazine
- Black Pump
- Comfortable Flat
- Evening Shoe
- Sleek Comfort Sneaker
- Tall Boot
- All-Weather Boot (Optional Hunter Welly Sock)
- Slim a wide foot with a shoe that has a pointy toe. "Stuart Weitzman is amazing because even though it's full at the top, it doesn't look like a wide shoe," Zee says of Weitzman's Elastorama, $398; Zappos.com.
- "Prints -- whether leopard print, snakeskin -- go with everything you have in your closet -- khakis, denim, skirts," Stephenson explains, pointing out Giuseppe Zanotti Rocia Print heels, $554; Zappos.com. "They're great for the office, for walking around and great for at night."
- Chic shoes can be comfy. "Cole Haan does a great shoe, because what they've done is taken Nike technology and infused it into their shoe so it feels like a sneaker," Zee says of Cole Haan's Air Maggy ballet flat, $149.95; Zappos.com.
- Wider calves? Opt for shoe booties over ankle boots. "Shoe boots are really elongating to the leg," Stephenson says.
- Problem with cankles? Choose high heels in a neutral color. "The neutral shoe is a must-have for everyone," Glassman says. "You have to match a shoe to your skin tone... It really elongates your foot, makes it sexier and slimmer because you're really drawing the eye now from the toe all the way up, and you're not breaking the body, so it's a seamless, long, lean silhouette." He recommends Kate Spade's Susie pump, $328.95; Zappos.com.
- For a long line, match your shoe to your tight, Glassman says: "Tights are very big this season, so it's very easy to do."
- The hottest boot of the season: over the knees. "You want to wear a flat one, because if you wear a heel one, it gets a little too 'Pretty Woman'," Glassman says. One to try: See by Chloe's flat over-the-knee boots, $715; Zappos.com.
- Impress with a ruffled shoe, like Be&D's Kan Kan platform sandal, $599; Zappos.com. "The ruffle on the shoe is fun," Stephenson says. "If you don't want to incorporate the biggest trend in fashion, which are ruffles everywhere, you can do it in an accessory."
- Hottest bag of the season? The Marc Jacobs Jet bag, $1,516; Bluefly.com. "Definitely a splurge," says Stephenson.
- The on-the-go bag? A classic black hobo, Zee explains. It "goes with everything, and can go everywhere," he said, showing off the Kenneth Cole Reaction Three Ring Circus Hobo, $144.99; Macys.com.
- Trade a not-so-cute backpack for a chic messenger bag, such as Lucky Brand's Abbey Road, $177.95; Zappos.com.
Want more Winfrey wardrobe wisdom? Here's a story on her favorite jeans.