Here is the break down among the crème de la crème of Parisian couture:
- Eschewing gold for its metallic counterpart, Karl Lagerfeld utilized silver as his canvas for Chanel Haute Couture. He did so in the form of short draped dresses, the brand's iconic tweed suits reinterpreted with sequins, and liquid-looking stockings.
- At Armani Privé, designer Giorgio Armani lassoed the moon for his own assortment of silvery confections. Among them were embellished bold-shouldered tops and sleek slim cut pants as well as an circular orb-like white organza dress. (Clearly Armani is also feeling the Lady Gaga influence. It's no coincidence that she wore one of his custom-made gowns to the Grammys.)
- Christian Dior designer John Galliano channeled an Edwardian-era lavishness with an equestrian slant that even involved models carrying crops down the runway.
- Attention Jennifer Aniston! Lebanese designer Elie Saab produced gorgeous gowns with that up-to-there slit that you were heralded for at the Golden Globes. With Oscars around the corner, it could be a repeat performance!
- Luxurious lace, sharp tailoring and menswear were among the influences at Givenchy. Designer Riccardo Tisci - considered a darling among the fashion glitterati - churned out an impressive display that was led by his new model-muse Natalia Vodianova.
- Jean-Paul Gaultier's collection made a run for the border all the way down to Mexico where sombreros and thatchwork patterned palm dresses prevailed. Also denim couture! How's that for highfalutin utilitarianism!
- And lastly, Valentino which is no longer designed by the man himself but rather Pier Paolo Piccoli and Maria Grazia Chiuri. Much like Mr. Armani, their offerings also carried a space-age vibe but more of the Ziggy Stardust quality. Pastel bandage-wrapped jumpsuits made for mummified-looking models with new wave face paint while a red leather mini-dress served as the only recognizable homage to the legendary fashion house.
Best and Wildest Looks from Spring 2010 Couture
Check out the best of the best from Chanel, Dior, Armani and more.