- Free patterns: Sewing sites are flush with free handbag patterns. Check out some of the best of the lot here: Henrietta's Hanbags, Amy Butler, Martha Stewart, AllCraft, and ThriftyFun.
- Let's get lazy: Now this is right up my sewing alley - a great purse pattern from LazyGirlDesigns.com that's easy to assemble.
- Love leather: Leather is easier to work with than you think. Learn the tricks of the trade in this fabulous video.
- Hardware Resources: Finding pro-quality hardware for your handbag, from buckles to grommets, is always a challenge. Here is a list of some great resources.
- Ladies, start your sewing machines: If you get stitching now, you'll be able to make the April 15 deadline for Handmade Handbag category in the 2010 Independent Handbag Designers Awards and potentially win a sewing machine and a thread collection. Even better, your pattern will be a featured download! Click here for more info and see last year's winners.
- Get inspired: For inspiration and tips on handmade handbags, check out Handbag Designer 101.
For more DIY Design columns, click here. Next week: high fashion comes in small package with handmade doll clothes.