But did you know there is an equally powerful set of foods for healthy hair? That's right, a diet rich in key vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids can unlock your naturally gorgeous, shiny locks.
The folks at The Frisky recently revealed a list of the top 12 must-have hair foods. Not only will these items go a long way towards good hair days, they may also help your waistline!
1. Salmon for omega-3 fatty acids, protein, vitamin B-12, and iron
2. Dark green vegetables for vitamins A and C
3. Beans for zinc, biotin and iron
4. Nuts for selenium, zinc, omega-3 fatty acid, and alpha-linolenic acid
5. Poultry for protein
6. Eggs for protein
7. Whole grains
8. Oysters for zinc
9. Low-fat dairy products for calcium and protein
10. Carrots for vitamin A
11. Beef for protein, zinc, iron, and vitamins
12. Brown short-grain rice for vitamin B and fiber
Want other ways to get naturally shiny hair?
Try a clarifying shampoo once a week. It can rid your hair of build-up from all of the styling products you use.
Keeping your tresses smooth and frizz-free will also help them look shiner. Opt for a good shine serum and apply evenly before blow drying.
Finally, avoid over-processing your hair. Yes, we girls have a right to change our minds when it comes to color or highlights, but overdoing it will only lead to dull, unhealthy looking hair. Instead, try to stretch the time between chemical treatments -- this will not only help your hair, but your wallet too!
Want more tips for shiny strands? Check out what the pros have to say!