The Patient's Question: I tried Titan laser treatments to stimulate collagen and it helped but not enough. I'm 69 and concerned about sagging jowls, folds by the nose, low brows and eyelid folds. I also think I should have a small chin implant to balance the face.
Here are 7 must-dos:
1. Wash daily with a non-foaming cleanser (Cetaphil)
2. Exfoliate twice a week with a Buf Puf or a mild facial scrub with salicylic acid.
3. Moisturize with any product that you like. I have no particular favorite.
4. Wear sunblock that contains zinc oxide (EltaMD or Blue Lizard)
5. Apply Retin-A (must be prescribed by your physician in order to be dosed properly) to thicken the skin, slow the loss of elasticity, even out the blotchiness and reduce your risk for certain types of skin cancer. Don't use it in the sun.
6. Apply anti-oxidants to help fight the production of free radicals (those bad chemicals that damage cells and make us age prematurely. Revale, Vitamin C (Cellex-C) or Prevage are all good.
7. Take Vitamin C or Fish oil and eat lots of colorful fruits and vegetables like grapes and strawberries that have loads of natural anti-oxidants.
As for in-office skin treatments...chemical peels or laser resurfacing will both tighten, firm and even your skin tone. Peels are less expensive ($150-300 per treatment versus $600-1,000 for a laser) and probably offer the same amount of improvement.
If you want surgery, the photos show how a facelift would lift the jowls and tighten the neck (A). An upper eyelift would also freshen your eyes (B). A chin implant will not make you look any younger but it will make you look different. If you've always disliked your chin, then an implant is a fine choice. It will cost about $3,000.
To learn more about the skincare or surgery, please refer to my book "A More Beautiful You - Reverse Aging Through Skin Care, Plastic Surgery and Lifestyle Solutions."
Robert M. Freund, MD
The health or medical information in this article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider with any questions.
Want to score a copy of Dr. Freund's "A More Beautiful You - Reverse Aging through Skin Care, Plastic Surgery and Lifestyle Solutions?"
Here's how to enter:
- To enter, leave a confirmed comment below telling us what type of plastic surgery you would love to have.
- The comment must be left before 5pm ET on April 22, 2010.
- You may enter only once. Ten winners will be selected in a random drawing.
- Ten winners will receive a copy of "A More Beautiful You - Reverse Aging through Skin Care, Plastic Surgery and Lifestyle Solutions" (valued at $19.95).
- Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- Click here for complete official rules.