In our weekly Post Your Face column, Dr. Robert Freund answers readers' cosmetic surgery questions, and shows them how they'd look if they underwent the enhancement. To post your own face, visit

The Patient's Question:
Can we nuke the bump on my nose to make it more proportioned to my face?

The patient before and after the hypothetical surgery. Courtesy Photo

Dr. Freund's Answer: Although it is fun to use the computer to erase bumps and transform your nose, your concerns about proportions of your face are spot on.

Facial proportion refers to way that different areas of the face affect each other. For instance, if the nose is prominent, it may appear that the chin is weak. Conversely, a weak chin may make a normal nose appear too big! Another example of the importance of proportions can be seen when evaluating the overall shape of a face. For many (but not all) an oval face is more desirable than a round or rectangular face. But if you make the cheeks bigger on a rectangular face, the shape will appear oval, even though the dimensions haven't really changed.

In your case, it's easy to make the bump on your nose less obvious. However, I think that improving the shape of your neck is key. As I mentioned above, by reducing the fat and creating a more defined neck, your nose will look better.

It's also relatively inexpensive and involves relatively little recovery time. The procedure to improve your neck can be as easy as a little liposuction ($3,000) or could involve a more complicated operation like a necklift ($6,500). Any good surgeon will determine the best procedure for you after peforming a thorough examination.

If you would like more information about these procedures or anything related to health and beauty, please refer to my book, "A More Beautiful You: Reverse Aging Through Skin Care, Plastic Surgery and Lifestyle Solutions."

The health or medical information in this article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider with any questions.