Take the summer to renew your denim wardrobe with the four essential styles that every woman should have in her closet. Trust us, these fab four pairs will take you from day to night, work to weekends - and the best part is that you'll have more room for shoes and, of course, bags!
1. Weekender Jean:
- A just-throw-on jean. Make sure you choose a style that is not too loose or sags. Being comfortable does not mean forgetting about great fit. Women prone to wearing "boyfriend jeans" should realize that is just a cheeky moniker for a baggier model. The fit should not be that literal. Too much fabric will add volume and make you look heavier.
- Fortunately, 7 for all Mankind has a great skinny boyfriend style which is flattering and can be worn with a casual cuff for a louche look. "The Josefina has 2% stretch and slightly roomy thighs so it is super comfortable," designer Kiernan Lambeth told StyleList. "The hand-distressing and authentic worn-in feel of the premium Italian denim gives it a cool, casual vibe which is perfect for the weekend."
- The most important thing when shopping for the perfect nighttime jean is finding a pair that makes you feel confident and sexy. Black or dark jeans that are cut slimmer through the thighs will provide added support and elongate your legs. Avoid anything that is too tight at the waist or thighs, sexy does not mean suctioned!
- If you're adventurous, choose styles with added embellishments such as sequins or studs. Victoria Beckham Denim offers a black pair with a row of studs placed on the outside leg seam, creating the illusion of a longer leg. Wear them with a blazer and a sparkly top, throw on some sky-high stilettos and head out on the town.
3. Working Girl Jean:
- Work appropriate denim should be classic and polished. Boot-cut or trouser styles are the best options since they can easily be paired with a blouse and a blazer. The denim should be in a clean dark wash and not be too distressed or ripped so you won't look disheveled when an impromptu meeting with the boss crops up.
- "The Amber in the Collectors collection combines the sophisticated look of a mid-rise boot-cut with a dark, clean and crisp denim wash," says Jerome Dahan, Founder and Creative Director for Citizens of Humanity. It a classic style that's perfect for the office or workplace."
- This is a versatile piece that you can wear with virtually any shoe and even tuck into boots during the winter months. It's a skinny, cropped style that is fitting and flattering - especially for petite figures. Wear it with flats during the day and throw on heels at night for a dressier dinner (or vice versa!).
- "The Hannah Slim Crop Jean is versatile enough to keep you demure in flats for day, so that you can chameleon yourself into sexy in heels, for the night," says Michelle Siwy, designer of Siwy Denim, who has seen this particular pair on Kate Moss and Beyoncé Knowles.