- Shorts: Skip the jean cut-offs. They're uncomfortable to work in. Instead, go with a fabric that breathes more. The slouchy fit of these cotton Gap shorts make them a great choice and the slight fading means they'll stand up to a little roughing up. They're also a versatile pick. With red being a spot-on color for fall, you could later pair with a chunky cardigan and tights for a transitional look.
- Tank top: Labor Day is a great excuse to get a few wears out of the summer's best trends. Playful polka dots were our favorite print of the season. If you didn't get a chance to try out the trend, carpe diem with this great Old Navy tank.
- Hoodie: One of our sartorial secrets is that we just can't get enough of teeny bopper surfer brands these days. Over the past two years, brands like Roxy, Billabong, and Hurley have been turning out such creative takes on comfy basics (like this adorable hoodie) that we've been caught sneaking into Pacific Sun on more than one occasion.
- Scarf: Keep your hair out of the way by tying it back with a printed scarf. We like the way the stripes and colors of this one play off the contrasting polka dots in the top.
- Boots: All boots look better with a little breaking in, and a day of hard labor is just the way to do it. Throw on your new fall boots while you're working outside and you'll soften the leather and even give them a bit of character.