The 26-year-old "California Girls" singer was shot by world renowned photographer David LaChapelle for the vibrant new ads where she rocks classic hairstyles from the '50s, '70s and '80s. From Bette Davis-inspired waves to long, hippie strands with braided headbands to Chola girl-worthy curls, Perry's raven strands illustrate the essence of these past eras.
And it is the pop singer's ever-changing looks that Paul Stoneham, chief executive officer of ghd, believes makes Perry the perfect partner.
"Katy completely embodies ghd's spirit of female transformation and empowerment, as she is recognized as a cutting edge style icon unafraid to push fashion and beauty boundaries. Sassy, stylish and sexy," said Stoneham.
ghd's "Iconic Eras of Style" collection (available May 2011) is made up of three limited-edition styling tool kits: Glamour, Boho Chic and New Wave. Each kit contains the new ghd Gold classic ceramic styler, hair clips, a protective styler heat guard, heat resistant purse and step-by-step hairstyle instruction booklet.
But the ghd team has given StyleList an exclusive on how to achieve Katy Perry's "Iconic Eras of Style" three versatile hairdos. Read on for the details!
1. Create a deep-side part using the ghd Tail Comb and take a horizontal section starting at the front of your head.
2. Place the ghd Gold Classic styler at the root of the hair and rotate it at 180 degrees, elevating upwards to create maximum lift. Glide the styler to the ends to fashion a curl.
3. For a stronger, longer lasting curl, roll each section back to the roots and secure with a bobby pin. Repeat until the entire head is curled.
4. Allow the hair to cool for 5-10 minutes. Release the bobby pins, allowing the hair to fall naturally and run your fingers through from root to ends. Spritz with hairspray for extra hold.
1. Begin by creating a center part with the ghd Tail Comb. Then starting just above the ear, take a diagonal section and clip away any excess hair.
2. Place the ghd Gold Classic styler at the root of the hair. Rotate the styler at 180 degress and glide through to the ends to form a curl. Repeat throughout the entire head of hair.
3. Run your fingers through strands to loosen the movement.
4. Using your thumbs, make a part from the temples to the crown and clip the hair up and away.
5. Take a 1-inch section above the ear, braid to the ends and secure with a clear elastic. Repeat on the other side if two braids are desired.
6. Place the braids across the forehead and secure with a small bobby pin. Release the clip and allow the hair to fall freely over the braided headbands. Set style with hairspray.
1. Create your desired part using the ghd Tail Comb and take medium vertical sections from the front of hairline.
2. Place the ghd Gold Classic styler at the root of the hair and rotate the styler 180 degrees, gliding the hair tool through to the ends to create a curl.
3. Roll each section of curled hair back to the roots and secure with a bobby pin. Repeat until entire head is curled.
4. Allow the hair to cool for 5-10 minutes. Release the bobby pins and allow locks to fall naturally. With your head upside down, shake curls loose. Throw your head back and tease with fingers to achieve desired shape. Set with hairspray.
Want more celebrity hair inspiration? Learn how to get Reese Witherspoon's retro waves.