- Garnier Fructis Pure Clean shampoo and conditioner ($4.99 each, drugstores)
- Elemental Herbology Biodynamic Facial Souffle ($72, spacenk.com)
- Life NK Cocooning Body Lotion ($25, spacenk.com)
- Redken Nature's Rescue collection ($16 to $19, redken.com)
- Nude Skincare Cleansing Facial Oil ($36, nudeskincare.com)
- REN ClearCalm3 Anti-Acne Treatment Mask ($45, renskincare.com)
- Skin by Monica Olsen Remove Makeup Remover ($19.95, skinbymonica.com)
- Curls Cashmere Curls ($20, curls.biz)
- Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Eye Gel ($14.99, yestocarrots.com)
- Caudalie Vinosource Quenching Sorbet CrÃ¨me ($40, caudalie-usa.com)
- L'Oreal Paris EverSleek collection ($5.99 to $7.99, drugstores)
If you're crazy-obsessive about the ingredients in your beauty products (don't worry, we're right there with you), then you may have recently noticed a bunch of packaging boasting the words "silicone-free." So why should you care?
For one thing, when it comes to skin care, this ingredient (a combination of minerals derived from sand) can irritate. Monica Olsen, founder of the Skin by Monica Olsen collection, explains her take on the situation.
"Silicone emollients are occlusive; they form a coating which doesn't allow the skin to breathe, much like plastic wrap would do," she says. "Most people have no problems with silicone because it helps seal in moisture and protect skin from the environment, but it can cause some people's skin to break out."
Many hair care companies are starting to introduce silicone-free products as well. "Silicones coat the hair so it appears smooth, but they tend to make hair feel heavy or weighed down," says Nathalie Kristo, L'Oréal Paris senior vice president of marketing. "We substituted silicone with a more natural moisturizing agent," says Rodney Cutler, Redken brand ambassador.
Despite the slightly earthy, crunchy connotations, don't think the no-silicone movement will leave you looking anything less than your best -- these products do their job brilliantly. We've rounded up in the gallery above a collection of some of our latest favorites.
Discover the truth behind popular skin care myths.