Megan Fox, Salma Hayek, Diane Kruger and Rosario Dawson are all known for riding the wave on the red carpet. We've spotted more one-shoulder strands lately while clicking through some of our favorite street style blogs like The Sartorialist and Face Hunter. And we were still suffering from major hair envy after spotting soft, side curls backstage at Catherine Malandrino's Fall 2011 fashion show.
"I think there is something incredibly feminine about side-swept waves," says Adir Abergel, lead stylist for Frederic Fekkai. "It is a very simple style that most women can wear. It is also an easy hairstyle that allows you to go out at night without looking overdone, yet it elevates your look into something special."
Follow Abergel's five steps to recreate this simple, yet elegant hairdo:
1. Prep the hair, using a volumizer like Frederic Fekkai Coiff Bouffant Lifting and Texturizing Spray Gel and smooth it all over the root of the hair.
2. Blow dry the hair completely using a round brush.
3. Roll the hair around a curling iron, leaving strands onto the iron on for no longer than five to 10 seconds to create more of a wave than a curl. If your hair is just below the shoulders, use a 1-inch curling iron, but if it is any longer than that use a 1 ¼-inch iron instead.
4. Spray on a little Fekkai Sheer Hold Hairspray so the wave has a memory and sets.
5. Finish by sweeping the hair over to one side and pin it to stay in place.
Pressed for time? Abergel recommends skipping the round brush when drying hair to create a more natural texture before curling.
Would you wear side-swept waves during the warm-weather months? Or do you prefer to keep your hair off your neck?
Tell us in the comments section and click here to see which summer hair trend has stars going to great lengths!